As runners we have a lot more to worry about then just making sure we wear the correct shoes and slather on the sunscreen. We also need to be proactive about our own safety. There are several things you can do to make your run more safe.
1. Stay alert: I’m not going to tell you to skip the music altogether, because I know I rely on music to keep me pumped. However, I have made a conscious effort to just run with one ear bud in and the music low that way I can be aware of my surroundings.
2. Wear reflective material: This one is super easy to make happen, look for running gear with reflective tags or stripes.
3. Run with a partner when possible: Yes, I know a lot of you are “lone runners”. If you don’t want to run with a friend or your dog then at least make sure you’ve let someone know what route you plan to run.
4. Trust your intuition: If you feel uncomfortable running in a certain area, then DON’T RUN THERE.
5. Carry identification: I started wearing a Road ID Elite in January. It is a bracelet that has your identification and emergency contact information engraved on it.
I love how sleek and easy to wear it is. I haven’t ever had any issues with chaffing and I usually forget I’m even wearing it. Most importantly, I have peace of mind knowing that if something happened to me then the first responders would know how to contact my husband.They have tons of other ID options including ankle IDs, shoe IDs and even necklaces. Go to RoadId.com to check out their great safety products.
Road ID is committed to saving lives, so they are giving one lucky reader a chance to own a Road ID of their own. The giveaway runs until 11:59PM EST JUNE 11. There are several ways to enter, please leave a separate comment for EACH entry.
1. Go to RoadID.com and shop around. Come back and leave a comment letting me know what product and what color you like.
2. Be a follower of my blog (leave a separate comment)
3. “Like” Road ID on Facebook by clicking HERE. (separate comment)
4. Follow Road ID on Twitter HERE.
5. Spread the word: post this giveaway on your blog
-send out a tweet with the giveaway link
-put the giveaway link in your facebook status
-tell all your friends, etc
LEAVE A SEPARATE COMMENT FOR EACH
6. Tell me a good safety tip for everyone out there hitting the roads.
(Disclaimer: I was given an eCard for a RoadID for myself and a follower. However, I have worn one for 5 months and the review is completely honest.)